<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Layout:
Home > Taxes, Baby Savings, and Exhaustion
 

Taxes, Baby Savings, and Exhaustion

February 8th, 2019 at 05:31 am

I did most of my taxes. I'm missing a few forms, so I haven't been able to file yet, but I'm not in a rush because for the first time in years (if ever)...

I owe money - about $680. At one point, it was $3k, so I'm not too vexed about the amount. I was hoping to get a refund to beef up my maternity leave fund, but ah well.

Even though we haven't started saving towards that, I think we're actually completely fine. We're now living on last month's income. Plus, DH will continue getting paychecks, and I'll have STD at 60% of my regular pay. His bigger paychecks more than cover the remaining 40%, and I'll have PTO saved up if I really want to extend my leave past the 6 weeks that I get of STD. Right now, I'm leaning towards 8 weeks (provided it's not a c-section). I want to keep some of my FMLA for the end of the year, and take another month/2 month-long break when DH gets back, so we can bond as a family.

The exhaustion is really setting in. I think it's just a matter of trying to do too much and not giving myself proper breaks. I haven't turned my TV on in about a week which is absolutely unheard of for me! Tonight, I don't have anything planned, but tomorrow is brunch with some friends. Sunday is an all day project with FIL doing the hardwoods, and MIL and I sorting, washing, and organizing clothes, packing the hospital bag, and whatever other small projects.

7 Responses to “Taxes, Baby Savings, and Exhaustion”

  1. creditcardfree Says:

    Next year you will qualify for the child tax credit and maybe dependent care credit depending on if you are hiring someone for childcare. Take care of yourself. Get as much rest as possible!

  2. Sarah Says:

    Please get as much rest as possible. How many weeks are you now?

  3. Debt-free by Thir-ty Says:

    Sarah, I'm 31 weeks this week.

    I think a big part of my logic is to push myself while I still mostly feel good to do as many projects as possible, so next month, I can just enjoy the quiet before the storm. But my body doesn't always agree. I have managed to get a good (about 6 hours' worth) amount of sleep the past 2 nights.

  4. LivingAlmostLarge Says:

    Wow that was fast! I went early with both kids 35 and 36 weeks. Do what you need now. I sort didn't have anything ready.

  5. Jenn Says:

    Just making sure that you know that you can supplement your short term disability with your PTO so that you get 100% of your typical pay.

  6. Sarah Says:

    Wow,31 weeks! Do what you can,but don't do too much at once.

  7. rob62521 Says:

    Please take care of yourself and get some rest.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
*
Will not be published.
   

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]